RE: ediff falsely identifying a difference as white space only

I really appreciate all the help I've been offered regarding the
attached problem. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to resolve it yet,
partially, I'm afraid, because the original messages weren't
sufficiently clear. I hope you'll have the patience to bear with me
again.

I'm using ntemacs 20.7.1 and cygwin 1.1.6.

Problem #1:

1. Load the attached file foo.java into a buffer.
2. Invoke vc-resolve-conflicts on it.
3. The resolve conflicts windows should come up and you should
   see that there is one conflict.
4. Press the "n" key. This causes an error. The contents of
   *ediff-errors* buffer is:

/usr/bin/diff3: unrecognized option `--binary' /usr/bin/diff3: Try
`/usr/bin/diff3 --help' for more information.

In my previous message I mistakenly stated that my version of diff
doesn't accept the --binary flag. As indicated in the error messages
above, I should have said that my diff3 doesn't accept the --binary
flag. After a little investigation, this seems strange. I looked at the
latest docs for diff3 at www.gnu.org and there is no mention of a
--binary option to diff3.

Can anyone duplicate this problem?

Problem #2:

1. I downloaded and installed the latest version of ediff from
ftp://ftp.cs.sunysb.edu/pub/TechReports/kifer/ediff.tar.Z
2. Load the attached file foo.java into a buffer.
3. Invoke vc-resolve-conflicts on it.
4. The resolve conflicts windows should come up and you should
   see that there is one conflict.
5. Press the "n" key to move focus to the conflict/difference.
   Even though the A and B buffers show Chuck2 and Chuck1,
   respectively, the message in the mini-buffer is "Only
   white-space differences in region 1 in buffers A & B".

Well, at least now I hope I've been clear regarding the problems I'm
having. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chuck Irvine
Sprint