Re: User Mode Linux on Win32 [Was: Re: Wine on Cygwin]

vherva@mail.niksula.cs.hut.fi said:
> Actually, the author of User Mode Linux, Jeff Dike, is actively
> searching for volunteers to undertake (or participate to) the Windows
> port of UML.

Indeed I am.  It's interesting for all the reasons given that Wine on Cygwin
would be interesting, plus it would be useful for all the reasons people run
Linux on vmware on windows.  It would also be more lightweight than vmware,
and there would be fewer barriers to its use since it would be free (speech
and beer), so it would have an easier time infiltrating Windows desktops than
vmware.

>  Some progress has already been made, so this not a
> start-from-scratch offer.

There is the start of a Linux execution environment which does the system call
interception necessary to virtualize system calls (see
http://neomueller.org/~isamu/line/).  This was headed in the direction of
being UML on Windows, but never made it all the way.

That's the major thing that needs to work.  There is some fancy mmapping going
on, and the various Windowses apparently differ in their ability to do that.

There are a couple other things that might be tricky, but if you can get the
system call interception and memory mapping working, the whole thing will
probably work.

So, if you're interesting in participating in this, let me know.  I know squat
about Windows, but I'll be happy to help in whatever other way I can.

				Jeff