Re: CVS permissions problem with network drive

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Thursday 14 December 2000 17:32, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> > It appears that 'Take Ownership' is not sufficient.  What other
> > rights are being used -- because I'd rather not add my host account
> > to the Administrators group on a permanent basis.
>
> If that doesn't work for you, I don't know. I haven't checked each
> single user right. I think there's no provision made in the NT concept
> to provide this functionality on a general base. The special feature
> for getting what you want is provided by the domain concept eventually.
> So, if you boxes are part of a domain and your user account is a
> domain account, this will work for sure.

The necessary right appears to be "Restore Files and Directories"
(SeRestorePrivilege).  At least the following did not work:

host user cwilson: member of 'Power Users', no additional rights
  but this DID work:
host user cwilson: membero of 'Power Users' + SeRestorePrivilege.

(It's possible the necessary rights are SeRestorePrivilege + the rights
granted by Power User status, as opposed to normal User).

So: In order to access a CVS repository on an SMB share exported by an
NT host, the user's account on the host must have the SeRestorePrivilege
right.  However, this is dangerous:

The holder of this right is permitted to circumvent NTFS file- and
directory-level access permissions to restore any files on the computer.
It also permits the users to restore NTFS security attributes, including
the file's owner information. Note that utilities such as SCOPY also
take advantage of this capability and can be used to circumvent security
policy. Assign this right with caution.

--Chuck