Re: new install of cygwin with pdksh doesn't work

At 03:15 PM 12/21/2000, David M. Karr wrote:
>   Earnie> --- "David M. Karr" <dkarr@tcsi.com> wrote:
>   >>
>   >> I don't understand the option of setting text mode mount points.  I
>   >> have no idea what the ramifications of that would be.
>
>   Earnie> Sigh.  How long have you been on this list?  I'll now suggest that you refer to
>   Earnie> the documentation, FAQ and mail archives for which you can find URL pointers at
>   Earnie> http://cygwin.com.
>
>Ok, after reading the user's guide, I did the following on the new
>system:
>
>    mount -t d: /d
>
>After this, the output of "mount" is the following:
>
>     Device              Directory           Type         Flags
>     d:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
>     d:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
>     d:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode
>     d:                  /d                  user         textmode
>
>I now find that my original .bash* files work fine, even with ^Ms.

Right.

>Is this the correct solution for this?  All of the files I create will
>be stored on the D: partition, but I guess any files that I read from
>directories which map to the three "binmode" mounts will be
>interpreted differently.  I don't know how much of an issue that is.

If you had selected "DOS" originally in setup, all these mounts would have
been set to text.  If that's what you wanted, set them that way now and
you don't need your added entry.  Otherwise, mount all the other drives you
want to act "DOS" drives with the "text" setting.

>The mount table from the original installation just has the first
>three, with the only difference being the "Type" is "user" instead of
>"system".  From my reading of the UG, that shouldn't matter.

If you want your settings to affect only you, that's correct.

>I guess this means that the default mode for unmapped directories is
>"text" on my original installation, and "binary" for the second
>installation.  Since directories like "d:/dmk" (my home directory) are
>not covered by the original mount table, I would get the default.

You should be able to reset your default mode for unmapped drives using
the --change-cygdrive-prefix setting for mount but specify the "-t" flag
too.  I haven't tried this myself so I don't know if it actually works.

>So, when I install it again, if I select the "DOS" text file type, I
>won't have to add this mount to get files on the "D:/" drive to use
>DOS text file mode, correct?

Right.

>What exactly in the "cygcheck" output (or any other place, for that
>matter) tells me what the default text file type is?

Nothing.  cygcheck doesn't output that yet.