Re: Perl/DB Request for suggestions...

No, Perl doesn't *need* the berkeley DB package.  Berk-DB is an optional
dependency; if have Berk-db, then make-perl will build the DB_File
module.  If you do not have Berk-DB, then perl will just build
everything else, and NOT the DB_File module.  No problems.

Better, you can always go back later, and build DB_File by itself (not
as part of the make-perl process) if you later discover that you need
that functionality.

--Chuck