Clueless about install

Hi,

OK...  I understand that all this unix/linux stuff is supposed to be
confusing to keep all us GUI lovers away from it...  but this is the
first time I have been so utterly confused by a "setup" program...  I
downloaded the whole thing.. (I think...  The full/part button would go
bold/not bold depending on how many times I clicked it, so I assumed
that bold meant full)  Now, the icon for cygwin.bat, when run, tells me
"bad command or file name", so I opened it, and found that it was trying
to run a program called bash...  After reading the faq, I found that I
probably need to download bash...  no link, no mention of where it might
be...  Shouldn't it be included in the full version of the download?
Then, I tried to run fileman.exe, just because it sounded like some type
of file manager...  funny, it tells me that a required dll, cygwin1.dll,
is missing... hmmm...  thought I just downloaded the cygwin full setup
program(?!?!)...  This would all make a lot of sense, if today were
opposite day.  Now I'm perusing the FAQ, and there is no mention of
where I might be able to get these files...  I must be STUPID for not
knowing this.

Here's another interesting tidbit...  The directory \cygwin\lib contains
a whole lot of files ending in ".dll.a"...  Am I to assume that I should
rename these all to .dll?  Shouldn't the setup program have done this
for me too?  I would love trial and error, if today were opposite day.

Really, all I want to do is cross-compile a C++ .cgi program on my
windows '98 machine so that it will run on my ISP's linux machine...
Please help me out!!!

Sincerely,

Aaaaaaargh!!!!

(Chris Fogelklou)