Re: Porting Cygwin

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 12:19:32PM -0500, David Feustel wrote:

>>>Does CE support fork?  That has been missing from certain Windows
>>>variants.  gcc usually has to be ported by starting with a cross build,
>>>using a working gcc, e.g.  on linux.
>>
>>Fork is actually missing from every version of Windows.  Or rather, the
>>POSIX layer on Windows NT supports it but cygwin doesn't use that.
>>
>>Cygwin has always rolled its own version of fork.
>>
>>Porting cygwin to Windows CE will be a nearly impossible task,
>>especially if you (Dave) are having problems just locating subscribing
>>to the mailing list and finding the Makefile.  This indicates to me
>>that you probably are not fully aware of the amount of effort required.
>>
>>The subset of the Windows API that is available for Windows CE is not
>>sufficient to get cygwin working.  The biggest problem is that there is
>>no equivalent to the Windows console.
>
>WinCE 2.11 has a console window.  I am using it in my ports of Teco and
>Snobol4 to my Jornada 820.  Teco is essentially done.  Snobol4 runs but
>needs work.  I have a Windows 2000 version running from essentially the
>same codebase which is helping me figure out what should be happening
>with Snobol on my Jornada.

That may be but I'm pretty certain that actual console I/O is not supported
by WinCE, e.g., AFAIK, you can't open CONIN$.

Besides the console operations, there are also other primitives that are
missing in Windows CE which Cygwin relies on.

Then, of course, there is the amount of memory that Cygwin will use.  Memory
is precious on hand helds.  Even if you got cygwin ported, I'm not sure how
much additional memory would be available for the application.

Btw, I neglected to respond to this:

I don't know what EVT c might be, but building Cygwin requires a recent
gcc compiler.  It's possible that you can use another compiler/linker to
use cygwin header files and libraries for building an application but
I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems there too.

cgf