Quick setup script "taxidermy.pl"

Hello,

I spent quite a bit of the recent holiday season setting up the latest Cygwin
on several systems (one Win98, one Win95, one WinNT) since it is much
more fun to work with now, that so much great effort has resulted in fewer
bugs. Playing (*laziness*).

I noticed that I wanted to have a fast way to just mount every logical drive
on each system to it's appropriate POSIX mount point ('X:' to '/x')  and
that, being the incredibly *impatient* hacker I am, I disliked the repetitious
nature of that task when done manually.

Since I tend to have Perl installed on every system I can get my hands on
for even a few moments (*hubris*), I cooked up a little Perl script to make
this automatic. What it doesn't yet do is check for existing mounts and
`umount' them before re-mounting anything (or skip them entirely). That's
a future To-Do refinement. This is just a rough script but I thought maybe
somebody would want to use it especially on a brand-new Cygwin
installation.

One problem, however: the script uses a Perl module that isn't standard:
Win32::API. It's on CPAN and at http://dada.perl.it/#api (on that site is a
PPM package to make it an easy install to ActivePerl -- *laziness*). But
when I ran the script from Cygwin bash the perl process faulted (memory
access violation I think). So, *don't run it in bash* but rather from cmd.exe
(or command.com if you must use that brain-damaged shell*). I think it
likely that a Win32::API compiled for a Cygwin Perl might not have this
problem, but I don't know quite enough of these matters for that to be
more than a speculation at this time. As a matter of fact, I would love to
know if anyone else gets Win32::API -- a really powerful module to access
arbitrary Win32 API calls from system DLLs -- built from source using
Cygwin or MinGW.

I have attached the script to this message, since it is relative short.

   Best,
       soren andersen

* When you aren't using Cygwin.

P.S. "Why `taxidermy.pl'?" Aww come ON! "mounting"(as in hunting
trophies or monster trout) -> taxidermy, get it?

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,