Re: Problem with F:/ and /cygdrive/f/

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Richard Y. Kim wrote:

>     JM> I have a program which works perfectly when I tell
>     JM> it to read from a file at /cygdrive/f/ .  However,
>     JM> when I set the directory to F:/, the program no
>     JM> longer works.
>
> I would like to add that GNU tar that comes with cygwin
> distribution has always had the same problem going back
> several years.  For example,

That's because GNU tar will translate the path F:/ to the
/ directory on *host* F, not quite the same thing you thought
it meant. This feature is quite well documented in GNU tar's
info file, and even says so when you type ``tar --help'' (see
the last paragraph that explains the meaning of ARCHIVE)!

Joey's problem lies elsewhere, and quite possibly in the program
he's talking about. Cygwin does do the translation where it's
possible/unambiguous; for example, ``ls c:/'' does produce
the expected behaviour, and ls doesn't include any special
magic to handle this AFAIK. Just try it with gcc, and that'll
work too.

Regards,
Mumit