Debugging cygwin1.dll

I have tried to debug cygwin1.dll with limited success. I am able to trace
the source through the cygwin1.dll until "gdb itself" just stacks dumps with
an access violation which then just reloads gdb (error_start).

I have gdb and a debug cygwin1.dll in the same directory but not in my path.
I run GDB from cmd.exe and then load the program under test and set the
breakpoints as usual.

Is there a more reliable method of debugging the cygwin1.dll?

Would I be better to remotely debug cygwin from my Linux box? Is there any
gdb stub to achieve this?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards Trevor