Problem with F:/ and /cygdrive/f/ solved!

Thanks for all the help on the F:/ and /cygdrive/f/ difference and as many
had noted, it was indeed the O_BINARY flag which can make the difference.  I
did search the FAQ before posting but missed it since the answer was hidden
under the "DOS/Unix to CR/LF" question which I did not think was my problem.

However, is O_BINARY a standard flag for open?  Adding that flag on Solaris
seems to fail in compile since that symbol is not defined or mentioned in
the open man page.  I'd hate to add #ifdef around every open...

Why is text mode the default for open?  Wouldn't one use fopen for text
processing and open for binary?

Anyway, thanks again!

Joey