Re: /bin/pwd versus built-in pwd

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 14:56:23 -0800, Bob McGowan <rmcgowan@veritas.com> wrote:

>  "...That is, all components of the printed name will be actual
>   directory names -- none will be symbolic links."
>
> I'd say this is a bug.

Despite what Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> thinks, I'll say it
is a real bug with critical implications. If you want to check if
directories are the same, or in the same branch absolute paths must
be used. I have many scripts (all of them working on Linux and other
UNIX's) that use `/bin/pwd` to get the absolute path. If the current
situation is kept (i.e. `/bin/pwd` returning the path the shell used
to get to this directory, not the absolute one) then it is a big
immigration problem.

Mr. Bob McGowan suggest a solution that use Cygwin tools, namely:
    cygpath -u `cygpath -w `\`/bin/pwd\``
I checked it and it seems to work satisfactory, so why not change
the /bin/pwd to do it automaticly ?

Note. The shell pwd should continue to hold the symbolic path, so cd ..
      will get you to the directory you came from.

Ehud.

--
 @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency
     @    @      @  @@  @   Tel: +972-3-6212-757    Fax: +972-3-6292-544