RE: Cygwin commands crashes after ssh login

At 04:42 PM 1/17/2001, frank.palazzolo@autodesk.com wrote:

> >/bin/sh is bash in the standard gnu dist.. :-) So copy your compiled
> >bash to /bin/sh..
> >
> >        /Andy
>
>Thanks Andy,
>
>That's what I thought too, but when the file sizes were so different I looked around and realized my sh.exe came from ash-20001002.tar.gz, which is a different shell and codebase, I guess.

Absolutely.  In Cygwin /bin/sh is NOT equivalent to /bin/bash.  /bin/sh is
ash, which is an optimized version of the bourne shell.  Its used instead of
bash for performance reasons (mostly noticeable in configures).  However
ash does seem to have more bugs than bash (if the issues that arise on this
list are any indication).  While the bugs that have been found have been
rapidly fixed, how many are left is uncertain (as always).  If shell
performance is not you're major concern, you can use bash as /bin/sh.
However, recompiled or not, any version of bash is different enough from
ash to have a strong potential for reacting differently in any particular
case.  Usually this means its more forgiving/works better.  YMMV.