Re: openssh ssh using bash loses control of terminal

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> It's most likely implementation specific.  I tried your example on HP-UX
> and it tried to write to /usr/share/lib/terminfo and of course I don't
> have write access to that directory.  I specified the TERMINFO variable
> to ~/.terminfo and it wrote out the data.

Ok. I can accept that.

> > w.r.t. dependency definitions, I thought I had included all the necessary
> > ones.  I'll check again.
> >

> I have better luck, leaving the TERM setting on Cygwin side as cygwin
> and changing the TERM setting on the remove side to one that is commonly
> available for that system. E.G.: export TERM=xterms.

Well, the original problem was just that: the poster was using a "commonly
available" term setting: TERM=linux.  And that caused problems on the
cygwin side.

I've noticed this myself: I used to always set TERM=linux. However, when I
then ran an ncurses-based program, after exiting that program the console
was filled with 6[6[ or 2c;2c; etc.  The bottom line: TERM=linux and a DOS
box on cygwin do not play well together.

Solution: use the least common denominator, like TERM=xterm, or teach both
the local system and the remote system to understand the terminal
you are actually using (in this case, DOSbox == 'CYGWIN').

I get around it by using TERM=rxvt-cygwin, in an rxvt window.  On the
remote side, my login script strips anything after '-' so it resets
TERM=rxvt whin I login to the remote system.