Re: Berkeley license

At 11:23 AM 1/24/2001, Konstantin Strauch wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I would like to use CYGWIN to compile a C program that is under the
>BSD license (with the advertising clause).  It has been modified by
>another party, so it does not fall under the blanket lifting of the
>advertising clause done by Berkeley.  Can I use the free CYGWIN version,
>or do I need the proprietary-use license for the CYGWIN library?  (What is
>the cost of such a proprietary-use license?)  In either case, am I allowed
>to distribute executables created with CYGWIN, and may I give out the
>CYGWIN.DLL with it - or do users of my program need to get CYGWIN.DLL by
>themselves?

Take a look at the FAQ entry "Is it free software?":

http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_1.html#SEC3

You probably also want to read the GNU Public License (included in any
package) and the email archives on licensing so that you know what
restrictions apply to you in your case.  The short answer is you can do
what you propose as long as you can provide the source to any user for
everything that your work relies on (i.e. Cygwin and your program).  If
you cannot do this, you need to buy a license from Red Hat.