RE: Questions about Cygwin's setup...

Hmmm.  The cygwin mailer does some strange things with Reply-to.  Your
message has a Reply-to of "Earnie Boyd <cygwin@cygwin.com>".  Is this
intentional?

With respect to my message, it should be obvious that I'm trying to setup a
"minimum" install of Cygwin.  My thought was that, since only I in my group
pay attention to what goes on with Cygwin, I could maintain a central area
where Cygwin is.  I suppose I could send out occassional messages that say
something like "rerun \\my\setup.exe to update your Cygwin", but it would be
much better if it just happened automatically.  Thus the idea of a pre-setup
central share that I (the Cygwin admin) maintain.  Also, if the speed of the
central share, it probably wouldn't be hard to make a batch script to mirror
it to a local drive (which I might write).

With respect to your answers:

* Why not make setup a package (say "cygwinsetup") like all the rest so that
it could potentially update itself?

* The cygwinsetup package could include a batch script that calls a copy of
setup.exe from some well-known location in the local directory tree.  It
could first install setup.exe and then copy it to the well-known location to
ensure there are no update conflicts.

* The cygwinsetup script could also include a separate shell/bat/exe that
could be called by (say) cygwin.bat to check to see if the mount tables in
the registry have been setup and, if not, set them up before starting bash.
(This could probably be hacked out of setup.exe.)

With this, I only have to tell users (once) to setup a shortcut icon that
points to cygwin.bat.  Also, since this area is pre-setup by me, I can
include things that are not installed by setup.exe (like many Elisp
extensions to Emacs or many toys in /usr/local) and users would "just get
it".