Re: KSH is pdksh

  Mumit> On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:

  >> "David M. Karr" wrote:
  >> > "/usr/bin/bash.exe".  Poof.  You have Korn shell.  As far as I can
  >> > tell, Bash can substitute for Korn shell in every area I'm familiar
  >> > with.

  Mumit> Nope, bash is not ksh. There are quite a few ksh93 features that are not
  Mumit> implemented in bash (and possibly quite a few from ksh88 days, but I
  Mumit> don't have details on those).

I'm not going to dispute that, but could you please give us some
examples of ksh88 and ksh93 features that aren't transparently
available in bash?  I'd like to know exactly what problems I could run
into.  I haven't noticed anything yet.  Does someone know which
canonical ksh version (ksh88 or ksh93) the Solaris ksh matches?

  Mumit> Please don't. I personally very much dislike misleading links. If people
  Mumit> want ksh, they should go and port it using the AT&T's now open source
  Mumit> ksh93.

It would sure be nice to bring a maintainable ksh into the Cygwin
fold, just for the sake of increased Unix compatibility.