Visualization Toolkit (VTK) port to Cygwin

The Visualization ToolKit or VTK is a terrific cross-platform
free visualization package that is extremely well-endowed in
both capability and flexibility. Written in C++, comes with bindings
for Tcl/Tk, Python, Java in addition to the core C++ bindings.

See http://www.kitware.com/vtk.html for more info.

Working with VTK developers at Kitware, all of the changes needed
to build VTK under Cygwin is now incorporated into the development
tree, which can be checked out using CVS.

The Cygwin port will create bindings for C++ and Tcl/Tk (hence will
support the Tk widgets supplied), but not Java. I'm currently working
on the Python binding using tkinter module (thanks to Jason Tishler
for his work on Cygwin port of Python 2.1a1), and remains to be
seen. Once that works, I'll forward the minor configuration tweaks
to the VTK developers.

The code is extremely portable, so that took no work at all. One
line change I believe, and that's because I was too lazy to autoconf
it. Configuration needed quite a bit of change, which is expected.
The trouble came when we tried to build the actual DLLs, and cross
ld on my linux box would eat up about 650 MB of RAM when building
one of the large DLLs! Ended up building the DLL using an intermediate
script that creates a static library, builds the def file and uses
$(CXX) --shared to build the final DLL. For VTK users, see the MakeDLL
script at the top of the source tree.

Regards,
Mumit