Re: [OT] #!/usr/bin/env bash -vx

I just tried this on a Solaris 2.7 system.  The form using '#!/usr/bin/env bash -vx'  doesn't work there either.  It just ignores the "extra" (3rd) field.  This most likely
has to do with slightly different ways of handling the "#!".  I think you'll need to stick with the minimal form (#!/path/cmd arg) for portability.

Since the -vx in my experience is used for debugging, I'd suggest either adding the line "set -vx" after the first line of the script or starting the script using bash
explicitly (bash -vx script).  Note that using the 'set' command in the script eliminates output from shell processing of .bashrc and the environment, while the second
includes it.

If you have other questions/comments, we can take this offline, since, as you note it is OT for this list.

Cheers,

Bob

Josifovski Ljubomir-BLJ01Z wrote:

> This is not exclusive to cygwin, but maybe someone here can help me. I put
>
> #!/usr/bin/env bash
>
> in the first line on some scripts I use on Cygwin, Linux and HP-UX because
> the exact path to bash differs (someone posted this trick on the list
> sometime ago). But when arguments are added to the line, like
>
> #!/usr/bin/env bash -vx
>
> this doesn't work anymore - I get:
>
> $ cat qwe
> #!/usr/bin/env bash -vx
>
> echo qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
>
> $ ls -l qwe
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 ljupco   None           59 Jan 31 16:06 qwe
>
> $ qwe
> /usr/bin/env: bash -vx: No such file or directory
>
> Wheras the direct path works:
>
> $ cat qwe
> #!/usr/bin/bash -vx
>
> echo qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq