RE: Problem w/ cygwin tar.exe: Unable to tar directories beginnin g w/ the letter 'R' in NT 4.0

My best guess would be that, if invoked from cmd, Cygwin tools will try to
'glob' their arguments (that is expand *, ? and other meta-characters). I've
not looked at the code but I suspect that cygwin, in this case, is expanding
escape sequences (so that for example you can have an explicit * in an
argument) and will gobble the single backslashes (and convert \r to a CR)

Does anybody with knowledge of this part of the code could confirm or infirm
this ? sorry, I cannot check it myself now; it's getting late here in Paris
and I'm going to come back home :-)

HTH,

	Bernard

PS: James, avoid answering only to me: this kind of discussion pertain to
the mailing list. I'm only send it directly to you (also) so that you do not
have to search in the 80+ dayly messages in the list to find your answer :-)

Bernard Dautrevaux
Microprocess Ingenierie
97 bis, rue de Colombes
92400 COURBEVOIE