Re: Problem w/ cygwin tar.exe: Unable to tar directoriesbeginnin g w/ the letter 'R' in NT 4.0

At 04:10 PM 2/6/2001, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:
> >
> > >Oops.  No, I didn't get you.  You're seeing an echo feature.  It looks like
> > >cygwin is probably doing the right thing.  echo is translating \t to a tab.
> > >I don't believe that cygwin would do this.
> > >
> > >The easiest way to check is to write a simple c program which displays its
> > >arguments.  This will bypass any echo trickery.
> >
> > Right.  Looks like its not globbing trickery.  A small program prints out
> > the arguments exactly as they're typed.  However, the same trickery
> > that echo uses appears to be what's affecting tar.  So far I've noticed
> > "bad" behavior in both with \t, \r, and \n.  In echo, this is a "feature"
> > I'm sure but in tar, I'd say its a bug.  I'm back to thinking the issue is
> > with tar...
> >

>Bug?!?!  The real bug is this thread.  I consider the translation of \r,
>\t, \n, etc. as a specifically stated feature found in all common
>unices.  Now, if we're discussing operation from the cmd.exe/command.com
>shells, and since Cygwin is aware of that fact, Cygwin could double the
>'\' characters it finds in the command line while setting the argv array
>before spawning the program to execute.  This would prevent this natural
>translation.  AFAIK, it may already try to do this and is truly a bug in
>Cygwin if it doesn't; but, this may be an unimplemented feature.

considered a feature, and in tar, where its not a feature.  Other utilities
like ls, cat, etc have no problems with this.  Thus, its not a Cygwin bug.
Reviewing the thread should make that clear.  If it doesn't, post your
specific concern.