Re: Optimizing away "ReadFile" calls when Make calls stat()

I don't understand the change that you are proposing, unless it is to
change the API for stat() to include two more flags.

The Cygwin-API reference lists stat() as being compatible with POSIX.1,
so the API is not really changeable, without a significant chance of
breaking every other application under Cygwin that uses stat.

Not to mention that you would have also forked GNU Make, or else added a
compilation dependency, that would need to get folded back in.

On re-reading your post, it appears that you are not proposing an API
change to stat, but rather another call that will set/unset that part of
stat()'s behavior in the DLL.  For everything in the system?  Is your
proposed change MT-safe?

I believe that the proposal to cache the results of ReadFile() was
intended to suggest that inside stat(), only one ReadFile might be
required.  This seems like a good idea, performance enhancing and
standards preserving.  I don't know ReadFile, and so don't know if this
would be possible.

Eric Monsler