Using cygwin remotely

For the last year or so I've been using cygwin as my development
environment.  I've had to make a few concessions and do some
odd things to make things work the way that I want, but I've been
more than pleased to be able to develop code using makefiles
and the like as if I were on a UNIX machine.  Thanks for that.
I've been running on WindowsNT 4.0 machines and just recently
acquired some Windows2000 (NT 5.0) machines.  I have tried
to the same things I was doing on NT4.0 on Win2000 with
only limited success.

Here's what I'm doing: I have cygwin installed on all my machines,
I am using one machine as a "server," All my source code exists
on the "server" and I access files via network drives from my
other machines, I compile (execute make) on the "server" via a
telnet session.  Since I started using Win2000 I can no longer
execute make from a regular DOS prompt in my telnet session.
I get the following error: C:\cygwin\bin\make.exe *** couldn't
commit memory for cygwin heap, Win32 error 487
I can execute make if I run it from a bash shell within my telnet
session, but I can only get bash and any of the other cygwin tools
to run if a user is logged into the "server" with a bash shell opened.
The cygwin mounts seem to be benign unless this is done.
Am I exceeding the limits of cygwin or does Windows2000 need
some adjustments?

Thanks in advance,

Joel