Re: Support for textmode files [WAS: Re: 1.1.8 bug with TCSH 6.10 ( using shell built-in commands )]

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:22:03AM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Mad Dave wrote:
> >
> > I'm sorry but you seemed to misunderstood my last question.  I am quite
> > aware of what textmode is, but the release notes for tcsh 6.10 state that
> > textmode files are supported, but this isn't always the case, as I have
> > found with sourcing a textmode file (my original problem).  The point of the
> > question was to assertain when exactly they are supported with the tcsh
> > shell and when they are not.
> >
> > Would I be right in saying that by supporting textmode files you mean that
> > the \r will be stripped off when the file is read by the tcsh, so you wont
> > be subjected to seeing ^M all over the place, but due to this foreach, while
> > loops, etc will fail with textmode files due to the fact they perform a seek
> > type operation based on the bytes read ?  Is this right ?  If so will
> > support ever be added for using textmode files as shell scripts ? ( IE use
> > another method which takes into account the \r\n translation when performing
> > the seek )
> >

> Use the source, Luke. (tm)  I'm sure the porter (Corinna, in this case)
> had every intention to do so.  She'll also gladly accept a patch to make
> it work as you say.  Note, that seek functions used with fd's in

Actually using textmode for shell scripts should work. Except for one
lseek in the source all are seeking to position 0 which is not critical.

I will take a look into the sources if I missed something but it's not
too high on my priority list though I'm using tcsh all the time.

I would appreciate a hint or better a patch as you wrote.

> textmode won't work as you think they do.  The read function returns a
> count of 1 less that actually read if it strips the \r from the line and
> thus you can't keep track of where you are in the file.  The best plan

Using lseek or fseek in textmode should work, actually. There's one
problem: When opening a file pointer using fopen() a later call to
setmode(fileno(fp),...) has no meaning for the file pointer operations.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.