Re: A question for Corinna

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 11:03:02PM -0600, Matthew Smith wrote:
>Sorry, what I'm trying to ask, is if Corinna's patches to tcsh were
>unneccessary?

I don't know.  I was asking Corinna this question.

>You're saying that all she had to do was build tcsh from the original
>sources, then link with automode.o?

I was asking her if this would work.  Since she knows about automode.o,
et al, I assume that she had a reason for not using it.

>Are there any exceptions to the text in, binary out general rule?
>Also, is automode.o only useful for linking with C code (not C++), as
>binmode.obj is?

automode.o, binmode.o, and textmode.o all affect low-level I/O, the
same way that mounting directories or files affect low-level I/O.
There is no "C" or "C++" component.

Can I suggest that you could just be writing simple test cases to
figure this kind of thing out?  The best teacher is experience.

cgf