RE: Gnome + winMe/98 + commericial x server?

You recall correctly. In fact it cannot build seamlessly - it needs the
variable exports defined appropriately in the library headers (just as
dlltool does). Other than that it does a pretty credible job of making
it easy. The only problem I had with glib and libtool was with gmodule -
which sounds like it's been cracked.

I will stand up and suggest that any libtool library can be dll-ized
without any creativity at all - just follow the libtool guidlines and
you'll be fine.

The current released libtool supports this, and the CVS version is a
little better. (Gary from libtool (sorry Gary.. last name escapes me
just now) who did much of the dll support has used it in m4 for run time
modules with good success, and has also coauthored a book which details
the .dll support). NB: I haven't read the book, and as far as I know
it's not available online.

Rob