RE: Problems building gcc-2.95.2

> 1st question:  if you are trying to build from the standard
> source, rather
> than the one from the cygwin mirror directories, why?

Oh, I'm building from the standard source.  Is there a problem with doing
this?  Has the cygwin source branched off from the standard source?

> 2nd question:  are you sure that the target selected
> automatically was not
> i686-pc-cygwin32? It may be better to specify the target so that it is
> identical to the host.  If your --host and --target do not
> match exactly,
> you are doing a cross build, which requires a copy of the
> include files to
> be present in the appropriate target build directory.
>
> 3rd question:  (depending on your answer to #2) did you
> remember to copy
> /usr/include to /usr/local/i686-gcc/i686-pc-cygwin32/include (if that
> corresponds to the selected target) before running configure?
>  That should
> postpone problems finding <windows.h> until the libf2c build,
> where you
> really should be using the cygwin copy of the sources, even
> if you choose
> the standard gcc-2.95.2 or 2.95.3 .  The keepers of
> gcc-2.95.3 have declined
> the suggestion that libf2c should correspond with any version
> of cygwin
> other than -b20.

Well, part of the makefile looks like this...

host_alias = i686-pc-cygwin32
host_cpu = i686
host_vendor = pc
host_os = cygwin32
host_canonical = i686-pc-cygwin32
target_alias = i686-pc-cygwin32
target_cpu = i686
target_vendor = pc
target_os = cygwin32
target_canonical = i686-pc-cygwin32
build_alias = i686-pc-cygwin32
build_cpu = i686
build_vendor = pc
build_os = cygwin32
build_canonical = i686-pc-cygwin32

...so I assume that means my host and target are set ok, and yet the file it
fails on is prefix.c so who knows?

Can you explain, or point me to something which explains, you comments on
libf2c?

Cheers,

Stephen