Re: Cygwin compiled DLL under Visual C++

Christopher Faylor wrote:

(snip)
>  And, I have to point out that if you are linking with the Cygwin DLL,
> *all* of your source has now become GPLed.

Souldn't this be, "If you are distributing code that links to the Cygwin
DLL..."?

For example, I have a small chunk of code for internal company use.  I
compile it under either Solaris or Cygwin on NT.  My README file and
paper documentation clearly states that no distribution outside the
company is permitted of the NT binary, and that if such is desired that
a commercial Cygwin license must first be purchased from RedHat.

But we can use the NT version internally, and could still distribute the
Solaris version off of the same sourcecode.  I can't imaging that this
little testcode will ever be distributed, but the fact that we use it
with Cygwin does not automatically transform it into free software.

IANAL.  I have read carefully the GPL, I read carefully discussions
regarding the GPL and LGPL restrictions, and take them quite seriously.

Eric