Re: HOW BIG IS IT?

At 02:24 PM 2/20/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:34:55PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> >
> >At 12:54 PM 2/20/2001, Mark Paulus wrote:
> >>Just realize, the size of the package isn't the whole picture.
> >>You also need the space for the download, the space for the unpacking,
> >>the space for the /usr components (man, bin, lib, etc), and the space
> >>for the "latest" snapshot.  I downloaded what I considered
> >>a base system (didn't include gcc,m4, or any dev stuff except
> >>make) to a samba disk I have at home.  That took 300 MB or so.
> >>But I tried installing the components I wanted onto a local disk,
> >>and that totally consumed a 900MB disk with it's temp files, and
> >>everything else.  Couldn't even get it installed, until I went to
> >>a partition with 2+ GB free.
> >

> >You don't have to download the snapshots.  And you only need to take
> >"contrib" if there's something you want in there.  Still, I downloaded
> >"latest" and its 330MB for me ("contrib" is 43 MB).
> >
> >"Is there something wrong with free software that makes it so big?", he asks
> >jokingly.
> >

> >>(Would be nice if setup would allow one to specify whether to keep
> >>packages as they are exploded, where to keep temp files, etc, etc)
> >

> >I doubt you'll get an argument from folks on this list in that regard.
> >Anyone want to patch setup to do this?
>
>The packages are "exploded" into /bin, /usr/bin, etc., AFAIK.  There is
>no need to specify a separate directory for this.  If there are temp
>files they are probably pretty small.

I read Mark's comment as he would like to have setup give you the option to
remove the package after its installed.  That may not be what he meant.
You're quite right to point out that there is no intermediate directory
needed for this stuff.  Certainly for anyone using one, there's always
the option of *not* doing it to save space.

>However, anyone who is really curious about this can check the source.
>I'm not curious at all, so I haven't done so.

Took the words right out of my mouth... ;-)