RE: 2nd Attempt: ReadLine not recognizing right <Alt> key?

Hi, Larry, :)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> At 06:12 PM 2/20/2001, Tiller, Jason wrote:

> >So, I've confirmed that the right alt key (Alt Gr) doesn't generate
> >META in Cygwin.

> >However, I've been unable to find out exactly *how* to change the
> >behavior of the Alt Gr key.  All of the information I've found via
> >'Net searches have involved using keymap or xmodmap or some other
> >keyboard mapping tool.  Is such a beast available for Cygwin?  I
> >get the impression from my reading that the key codes generated by
> >the keyboard are hardcoded into the Cygwin DLL.

> >BTW, there have been other discussions touching on this topic in
> >recent years, but they've all centered on using Alt Gr to generate
> >either standard bash characters ('$', '{', '[', etc.) on
> >international keyboards or generate accented characters on
> >U.S. keyboards.  Like snowflakes, each discussion is unique, it
> >seems. :)

> Hm, would the use of bindings in bash be too simple an answer?
> Maybe that's circular logic.  I wonder...

I started out with the assumption that I could use bash's bindings
(~/.inputrc), but I got stuck when I realized that I have no idea how
to bind an input-modifying key like AltGr (or Ctrl or Alt or any of
them!).  Readline binds actions to keystrokes, things like "M-f" to
"forward-word" (although, perhaps tellingly, "bind -p" shows that the
bound keystroke for "forward-word" is "\ef"...) , but I couldn't find
anything on how to make 'M'. :)

Thanks again for the input - I'm really appreciating the level of
sophisticated command-line editing available with bash/readline.  Even
my old stand-by, 4DOS, can't come close to bash's flexibility.

---Jason