Re: CygWin under WIN 98SE - login, passwd, group, services

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 12:23:27AM -0800, Gregg Smith wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > /bin/passwd doesn't work on 9x/ME. The current stable solution is using
> > /bin/crypt to generate DES passwords as you do. There speaks nothing
> > against including the /bin/crypt functionality into /bin/passwd but
> > seriously - it's on the lower right end of my TODO list and it hasn't
> > moved from there for months. Feel free to contribute here.
> >

> Unfortunately, I think I'm some ways away from being able to contribute usable
> code as yet <smile>. I can accept the answer, though. Is the DLL error
> expected then, or should only the functionality be affected in Win98?

It's expected. `passwd' uses a netapi function not present in 9x/ME.
Dynamically loading would milden the effect on 9x/ME systems, though.

> > You don't have services in 9x/ME at all.
>
> Okay, I'll accept that. The question still stands: Is there a better way of
> terminating inetd than kill-ing it's process?

You mean, besides shutting down Windows? Otherwise the answer is "no".
But you shouldn't mind. It's the standard way to get rid of a daemon
under UN*X, Don't misinterpret the word `kill'. It's just sending a
signal to the daemon to end itself.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.