Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Important change to symbolic link functionality

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 10:23:53AM +0300, Egor Duda wrote:
> i  haven't  looked  at new implementation yet, but i know at least one
> problem  with  the  way  explorer  treats  .lnk  files.  if you create
> shortcut  b.lnk pointing to file a.exe and then create (with explorer)
> shortcut  c.lnk,  pointing  to  b.lnk, explorer automatically resolves
> c.lnk  and make it point to a.exe! (Duh, that "optimizers" at microsoft
> made a good "gift" to sysadmins)
>
> Wouldn't it be a problem here? won't explorer spoil symlink-to-symlink
> by just opening it?

No.

When you create a shortcut in Explorer it always contains the full
pathname to the target.

When creating a relative link in Cygwin or U/WIN the shortcut contains
a relative path.
When you open the "Properties" window of that link in Explorer it will
try to resolve the relative path and it will show the target path again
in absolute notation. It will _not_ change the content of the shortcut.

When you create a symlink/shortcut in Cygwin which in turn points to a
shortcut it will remain this way. Explorer tries to resolve the path
again but it will not show any target path for some reason. There's
still a difference in the shortcuts created by Cygwin in contrast to
shortcuts created by U/WIN. I will try to figure out what it is.

However, Explorer only changes the shortcut content only when you
change it by yourself in the shortcu properies dialog.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.