Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Important change to symbolic linkfunctionali ty

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> At 03:53 PM 2/22/2001, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > I just thought of another problem though -- if I put together a distro
> > > tarball that contains symlinks, the dos paths will match MY system, and
> > > not the user's system.  Unless part of the postinstall script is to run
> > > fix-symlinks on the symlinks included in the installed package...
> >
> >No. Obviously not. Since Cygwin tar reads and saves the POSIX path
> >in the tarball, it is absolutely correctly recreated when unpacked
> >on the target system even when the links are absolute links, say
> >/usr/include/foo or alike.
>
> Wait, but you're just talking about the POSIX path.  I think Chuck was
> referring to the Windows paths, right Chuck?

You misunderstand Corinna.  She is saying that the *.lnk files wouldn't
be in the tarball only the attribute of the links and the *.lnk file
would be recreated when extracting it from the tarball.  The *.lnk file
itself would not be extracted but recreated.

Earnie.