Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Important change to symbolic link functionali ty

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 10:52:31AM +0300, Andrej Borsenkow wrote:

> > The shortcut contains a DOS path and a POSIX path. The POSIX path is
> > used by Cygwin or U/WIN. The DOS path is used by native Windows tools,
> > obviously.
> >

> That is, when I open shortcut properties in Explorer I see DOS path? Then
> there is a possibility that user changes shortcut there and DOS/Cygwin paths
> differ. One way to store paths checksums in .lnk; but it is not clear what to
> do in this case - you cannot recreate possibly relative Unix path from changed
> DOS one. Probably, in this case the right thing is to invalidate Unix path in
> shortcut alltogether.

It's exactly what is done by Cygwin. A shortcut created by Cygwin or
U/WIN has a special header format which is sort of uncommon.
Additionally, the R/O attribute is set and maintained by Cygwin and
U/WIN. When a user changes a shortcut s/he has to remove the R/O
attribute first. If that attribute isn't set the shortcut is treated as
a standard Explorer shortcut. If a user changes the content of the
shortcut the header format changes since Explorer creates a completely
different header. Even if the user sets back the R/O attribute the new
header avoids that Cygwin uses the POSIX path in future and the shortcut
is treated as all other Explorer shortcuts. They are treated as a symlink
with only a DOS path pointing to the target.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.