Re: non-Cygwin console programs in a Cygwin console; will it ever be made to work ?

At 06:24 AM 2/20/2001, David Beales wrote:
>I notice in the FAQ
>
>* tty and pseudo-tty devices. For now, ttys default to off because taking
>over the console causes problems with using non-Cygwin console programs in a
>Cygwin console. To turn it on, set the environment variable CYGWIN32 to
>include "tty". *
>
>Will this problem with ttys ever be fixed ? Are there any workarounds for
>the problem ?  Since I want really to use an xterm ( from the cygwin xfree86
>port ) to start and run some Windows console programs, which hang at the
>moment when I try and start them ( xterm can only use ttys ), but work fine
>when I am on the console using cygwin with conin.

I haven't heard anyone state that they were actively looking at this issue.
Whether or not the problem is even solvable is unknown to me.  You're welcome
to take a stab at addressing the issues you have though.  A look through the
code might provide you with some valuable insights into the problem.