Re: fpTeX and Cygwin

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 12:18:36AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 12:04:50AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>I think that this will still be a "contrib" package and, as such, it
> >>should still live in /usr/local.
> >
> >Whoah! None of my packages in contrib install into /usr/local.  The
> >original motivation behind the "contrib" directory was not "stuff for
> >/usr/local." We first created "contrib" and moved zlib and libpng into
> >it from "latest" because.  Wait.  Why did we do that again?
>
> Hmm.  I thought that this was always the understanding.  Corinna's ssh
> stuff went in /usr/local until it was put into latest but...  hmm...  it
> never existed in contrib or latest.  It was in an external site.
>
> I guess I'd like some clear distinction on a user's disk for what is
> "contributed" (and therfore optional) and what is not.  The user has
> no easy way of knowing that something comes from a contrib directory
> so the only vague hint he'll get will be directory structure.

I don't follow this argumentation. Regardless how the package is
queezed into an order in the download directory hirarchy it should
always be installed in the prefix=/usr part of the users machine.

The /usr/local is what the name suggests: It's what the user has
additionally locally installed. The /usr part is what is part of
the distro. And the contrib packages _are_ part of the distro.

As a (not so) general rule I'm realizing the difference between
latest and contrib as a difference between "base, needed" and
"gimmick, nice to have".

I would think to change the directory hirarchy in future to
reflect groups of packages, say, "base", "development", "doc",
etc. and including even xfree. But this definitely requires
tweaking setup to learn about dependencies and groups of packages.

> Either that or for not having a more clear memory on what was decided...

I have in mind that we once talked about that everything in the
distro has prefix=/usr while external packages should live in
/usr/local. That's still a good rule, IMO.

> So, forget I said anything.

You said something? ;-)

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.