Re: ntsec

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:52:34AM -0500, Michael Erdely wrote:
> OK... Maybe _I_ misunderstood the original poster's point.
>
> But, yesterday, I was setting up SSHD on a server.  In my /etc/passwd file,
> I wanted to use "admin" instead of "administrator" since "admin" is less
> typing.  But I didn't/couldn't change the Administrator Windows 2000 account
> name.
>
> So, I was following instructions in login.README and the openssh readme file
> and used:
> admin::500:544:System
> Administrator,U-Administrator,S-1-5-21-...-500:/home/admin:/bin/bash
>
> Then, when I SSH in, I get "password incorrect" or whatever the actual error
> message is.
> When, in the /etc/passwd file, I change "^admin" to "^administrator", I can
> log in.
>
> I was referring to the "if you don't like your NT login name" part of the
> readme text I quoted.
>
> Hope that makes more sense.  Kick me if I'm still overlooking the obvious.
> <g>

This makes much more sense. I've just investigated the problem and
found that it never could work in 2.3.0p1 due to the fact that the
pw_gecos field is dropped at one point in the authentication procedure
in sshd.

This will definitely added to the upcoming 2.5.0p2.

Thanks for the hint,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.