Re: New symlinks.

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 11:11:38AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

So, this really isn't an argument, then.  The fact that Microsoft hides
extensions may be terrible but it is something that people are used to.

>> The bottom line is I don't care a fig about what is "correct".  I'm
>> concerned about surprising people.  I'm not concerned about exposing
>the
>> ".lnk" for power users if it causes confusion for the vast majority of
>> people who are not power users.  I'm concerned about increasing
>mailing
>> list traffic by 10% when it could be avoided.
>
>Ok, so when you get 100's of emails. "I made a symlink on my samba
>share, then I went to delete it via bash on the samba server and I
>couldn't find the file", you'll be _glad_ there is no sign within cygwin
>that a .lnk was created.

Those kinds of emails are actually pretty rare.  And, actually, we could
work around this problem now by just checking if a Cygwin symbolic link
file is read-only, just like we do for .lnk files.

>If you don't show somewhere in cygwin that it is a .lnk file may well
>end up surprising them anyway.

I don't know why.  If you can do all of your manipulation of the file
without the extension then there is no reason to care about the
extension.

>> >My vote: we expose the.lnk at at least one place in the interface. We
>> >also make it interoperate seamlessly for scripts/batch files etc.
>>
>> I'm not sure what "interoperate seamlessly" means.  It would be nice
>> if people would try what Corinna has implemented before offering
>opinions.
>> Or, maybe you have done this and are just reiterating Corinna's
>> implementation.
>>
>By interopreate seamlessly I mean, don't break shell scripts or programs
>that use lnks. (Obviously thats the goal, what I what trying to say is
>'show the .lnk somewhere, don't break anything to achieve that).

Um, yeah.  That's a pretty obvious goal.  Unfortunately, it definitely
means not exposing the .lnk extension (unless *possibly* it is explicitly
asked for).

cgf