Re: spawn hangs for non-Cygwin programs

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 03:36:42PM -0800, Bob Wilson wrote:
>This seems like a weakness in Cygwin.  Well, OK, so it's fine as long as
>you don't try to get Cygwin apps to work nicely with native Win32 apps,
>but still, it seems like a weakness.  There ought to be a way to spawn a
>non-Cygwin executable with _P_NOWAIT.

There is no need to editorialize.

>Here is my attempt at a solution.  I simply added a _P_NONCYGWIN_CHILD
>flag that can be ORed with _P_NOWAIT, and I modified spawn_guts() to
>skip the synchronization when this flag is set.  I suspect that this new
>flag will not work in combination with _P_OVERLAY, but I don't
>understand that part of the code well enough to know how to test it.
>
>Please let me know if you come up with a different solution.  I'd prefer
>not to have to use a patched Cygwin DLL forever....

I guess this is one solution.  I'm not sure that it is the best one.  I'd
rather have Cygwin work correctly.

Bwt, could you check out the Contributing link at the cygwin.com site?  This
provides guidelines for patch submission.

I appreciate very much that you took the time to come up with a patch.  I
just am not 100% sure that it is the correct solution.

cgf