Re: Bug in Unlink??!! cygwin 1.1.8, Windows 2000 SP1, Novell 5.1

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 10:57:54PM -0400, Neil Erskine wrote:
>Windows 2000 SP1 with Novell client 4.80.
>
>The following was uncovered when trying to get cvs to work on a Novell
>partition:
>
>After running a cvs init to create a repository on a Novell drive (always
>fails),
>a bunch of files have been created on the Novell drive. However, rm won't
>delete
>them, even with the -f option.  If I chmod the files to "u+w", rm then
>works.
>Also, if an "mv editinfo,v t" command is run, the file "t" shows up,
>but the original file does not disappear, and rm won't remove either,
>even if "-f" is specified. This seems to be related to (cause) the cvs
>failure,
>as there is a 1-1 mapping between file sizes of .#nnnn files, and the target
>files.
>
>When run on a Win98 box, cvs still doesn't work, but rm run manually
>works correctly.  John Doucette is submitting a separate report on
>the Win98 behaviour, with cvs debugging output attached, which shows the
>specific unlink operations failing.
>
>When run on Windows 2000 inside a bash shell, rm doesn't print a
>confirmation
>message, which is printed from a console window, so I haven't much output to
>show.
>
>If I change the permission on the files by adding write permission for
>myself
>(chmod u+w), rm and mv then work.
>
>My guess is that the mechanism Cygwin is using to implement read-only files
>is inconsistent with Novell usage.  This would account for the fact that rm
>displays a confirmation prompt when trying to delete these read-only files,
>but it doesn't when I create a read-only file from Bash on a NTFS partition.

Cygwin is using the standard DeleteFile function to delete files and the
standard MoveFile function to rename files.

If you are not using ntsec or ntea, Cygwin uses the standard
SetFileAttributes call to set or clear the read-only bit.

Given the problems you've been mentioning with Novell, I assume that
there is some inexplicable incompatibility with Novell networks and the
Windows API.  Since, to the best of my knowledge, none of the core
cygwin developers use any Novell software and since Cygwin is working
acceptably on standard Window SMB networks, I think you're going to
either have to offer patches to the software to fix the problem or come
up with workarounds.

cgf