Re: Windows expertise needed: what are MinSPs

Paul Garceau wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>         Without straying too far OT, I think it needs to be said that Win9x/Me
> do not handle resource management or systems scheduling very well.  If
> you have something "not responding", it is likely because the OS hasn't
> gotten around to dealing with it and not because the process has had an
> error.

No, [Not Responding] - specifically on the TaskManager list - means the OS has
beaten loudly on the door [by queuing some kind of message] and the ap hasn't
gotten back to the message loop.  Typically, no amount of time will fix the
problem unless, for example, some piece of hardware is not ready and you can make
it so.

The stated, and microsoft endorsed solution does indeed drastically decrease the
occurrence of the problems.

Having said all that, yeah MSWin98 is still a "toy" OS.  I just don't have disk
for a dual boot and can't convince my family to love Linux.

>         Cygwin is resource heavy as are most third party apps (such as
> ZoneAlarm) when it comes to Win9x/Me.  Add too many processes and the
> OS will effectively freeze...guaranteed.  Doesn't seem to matter how
> fast the cpu is.  Nor does the amount of ram make much of a difference
> in reducing the frequency of such occurrences.

The amount of RAM is the least significant factor.  Win98 resources are fixed
blocks of various types set aside by the OS, the limits on them are fairly low and
for some there is simply no way to increase them.  You could buy a Gig of RAM and
you would still have 64K in the resource pool - I just don't know if that's 64K
total memory or 64K number of resource blocks.  This stuff is way way down in the
innards of the beast.

You can run out of these resources somewhat gracefully, more often you run out
catastrophically.  There ain't much help for it except to kill any extra aps, like
the weather forecaster in the systems tray.

I find Cygwin, OTOH, quite efficient in managing its resources.

--
Being peacefully illustrious,
David A. Cobb