Re: patch problem with forward/backward slashes in patch file

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:03:52 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:29:23PM -0800, David Rees wrote:
>>On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 11:15:25 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 12:19:29AM -0800, David Rees wrote:
>>
>>Your explanation makes sense, but shouldn't it be using the cygwin DLL
>>to recognize that its directory path? Its obviously using the cygwin
>>DLL to access the file.
>
>Cygwin uses the Windows API to do everything.  Cygwin doesn't go out of
>its way to disallow Windows paths.  When patch passed the backslashed
>file to cygwin, it happily passed it along to the correct Windows function
>bypassing any translation to a "UNIX-like" path.

My thought was actually the reverse, that patch should somehow consult
with the filesystem (i.e cygwin) to see if a given string is a
relative path rather than somehow figuring it out itself. However, in
retrospect that would require that cygwin has this API and also
changing patch which I assume is avoided when possible for cygwin
ports?

>>Maybe its a version issue? Anyway, the obvious solution is always use
>>-p0.
>
>I don't think so.  I have never seen patch behave in this fashion.  It
>doesn't work this way on Linux, AFAICT.

Fair enough (the diffutils manual is dated 1993). Should I try and
report it somehow? I have no idea where to report GNU doc bugs.

thx,