Package distribution (was: setup.exe ==> source directory mess (?))

How about something along the lines of
pkg_create / pkg_add utilities from FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

These utilities allow a package tarball to be "annotated"
with a packing list, or manifest, which can include stuff
like:

	- what directory (or directories) to install the
	files to

	- custom commands to execute as part of the install
	(for those "special needs" packages)

	- file modes/permissions to set

	- dependencies on other packages (very nice, very
	useful if you want to say "this version of awk
	depends on cygwin DLL version 1.xx and later")

	- known conflicts with other packages (Package X
	will warn/bitch if Package Y is already installed,
	because they install some of the same files)

I'm not sure to what extent it would be possible to use
these utilities as they are written. I DO know that they
have been very useful in administering my OpenBSD system.

At 12:22 PM 3/8/2001 -0500, you wrote:

 > Did I do something wrong? I expected the source packages to be
 > installed under /src or /usr/src -- I don't remember setup.exe
 > asking me to explicitly choose a location for these packages.

This is the current default behavior.  The tarballs are untarred with
whatever directory structure they have, and the GNU default is to
untar into a foo-x.y/ subdirectory.

 > If this is in fact the default behavior, it should be changed
 > IMHO...tell me if I'm mistaken.

I'm not against it, but I don't have time to implement it.  You'd have
to special-case source tarballs in install.cc, and prefix /usr/src (or
whatever) on each path as it's converted.  It shouldn't be hard to do
if someone wants an easy intro project...