Re: Why do DLLs require executable permission with ntsec?

Corrina,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 09:13:10AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 01:05:53AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > In trying to track down a Cygwin Python problem related to ntsec,
> > I first realized that DLLs seem to require executable permission when
> > ntsec is enabled.  Otherwise, the application which is dependent on the
> > DLL will fail to start with the following error dialog:
> >
> > [snip]
>
> Sure. This is thanks to Microsoft's straight design of NTFS permissions.
> If you are using NTFS and ntsec is off you will never get this problem
> since the ACL is set to `Everyone may everything'. As soon as you care
> for permissions (from the Windows point of view) you will stumble over
> that... interesting... behaviour. I assume the reasoning behind that is
> that only files with x bit set should be loaded into the text segment.

Thanks for the above cogent description.  I didn't realize that Windows
NT/2000 had anything like the Unix executable bit.  After fiddling around
with Windows Explorer's Properties/Security/Permissions/Special Access...,
I found it.  I (not surprisingly) was able reproduce this behavior directly
using only Windows tools.

It's kind of funny (or sad) that when I work on Windows, some parts of my
brain just stop working.  Luckily they start again, when I get back to
Unix... :,)

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235