Re: mingw32 build?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:13:56PM -0500, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >You've given a partial answer: they should not be included in the same
> >tarball as the cygwin libs.  And you've also raised a potential problem:
> >this behavior requires changes to setup.exe.  Thanks.
>
> As I said, unless I see a few individuals step forth to provide a plan
> and actual work, there is no chance of this happening.
>
> When I get email from someone wondering if something is going to be
> done, I like to make sure that I respond either in the positive or the
> negative.  I am just letting everyone know that neither I or Corinna
> will be interested in doing this.
>
> AFAIAC, mingw is a separate project and should remain that way.
>
> However, if someone has a nifty plan for modifying setup.exe so that it
> conditionally downloads mingw libraries and if they also have a plan for
> keeping things in sync with mingw.org (we really shouldn't be trying to
> supplant that project) then I'm all ears.

I was not aware of the recent (~ last eight months or so) advances made
on the mingw project.  A quick look at
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwrep/ shows a ton of ported
libraries.  According to Paul Garceau (whose message was not copied to
the XEmacs-NT list), these libraries are interoperable with cygwin
-mno-cygwin.  So The Right Thing is not to explicitly add
mingw/-mno-cygwin stuff to the cygwin distribution, but to instruct
folks to install the necessary mingw libs in The Right Places using The
Right Procedure if they want to use gcc -mno-cgywin (to build a native
XEmacs using cygwin tools, for instance).

It seems that a simple (hah!) documentation update is all that is
necessary -- most of the docs on the mingw site are focused on
standalone, mingw installations (as they should be). Even their
packaging scheme *seems* to be focused on standalone installation.
(which is fine).

I'll mosey over to the mingw list and ask about how to install the
already-ported mingw libs for use in a mostly-cygwin system, where I
intend to build using cygwin-gcc-mno-cygwin and not mingw-gcc.  I'll try
to cobble together a web page with quick instructions once I get the
information (or perhaps the mingw folks can point me to pre-existing
documentation for this specific problem).  I'll report back to both
XEmacs-NT and cygwin lists.

Thanks,
Chuck