Two questions: Moving Directories, Ctrl-Z

One thing I've noticed that changed with our recent upgrade
to 1.1.8 was that moving a directory now seems to perform a copy
and remove rather than just renaming a directory.  Is there a way
to just force the rename?  what's the benefit of the copy over the
rename?

Also, Ctrl-Z stopped working...  I noticed someone said that this
was fixed in a recent snapshot, but I can't find any mention of it
in the available snapshots, and I can't seem to download any of the
snapshots to check for the fix...  I get a message indicating that
the server doesn't allow for anonymous ftp...  what is the date for a
1.1.9 looking like (assuming that it would have this fix...).

...myoung