Re: Two questions: Moving Directories, Ctrl-Z

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 04:44:31PM -0800, Mark Allan Young wrote:
> >One thing I've noticed that changed with our recent upgrade
> >to 1.1.8 was that moving a directory now seems to perform a copy
> >and remove rather than just renaming a directory.  Is there a way
> >to just force the rename?  what's the benefit of the copy over the
> >rename?
>
> I just tried this.  An "mv" in cygwin moves the directory without
> copying.
>
> If it isn't doing this for you we'll need details.

I've seen this problem (mv actually does a copy) when the target directory
is in use (file is open or you've got a shell working in some part of the
directory.)

Also, when this happens, a "rm -rf" will do some amount of work, then it
will just stop and not return.  I'm assuming it's waiting for a resource
to become free, but I haven't looked into it.

Sorry I don't have more info.

...alex...