Re: Building non-cygwin DLL with cyg-gcc

nate@rootlabs.com wrote:
[snip]
> And of course, this makes sense because ld seems to be trying to export all
> symbols.  I have my own .def file with the desired exports listed, but I can't
> figure out how to get ld to use it.  It seems like ld has no equivalent of
> the --def switch of dlltool (shown in the UG method).
>
> Is it possible to get ld to reference an exports file using the ML method?  If
> not, what's the recommended method for building a non-cygwin DLL using cyg gcc?

just put the .def file in with the list of .o's to be included in the
dll.

> BTW, I still can't figure out the difference between mingw, w32api, and
> -mno-cygwin.  I assume they're all different pieces of the same codebase.

w32api is the place where Win32-specific #include files are stored.
Cygwin puts them there to keep the separate from the 'cygwin' #include
files.  These files are used by cygwin gcc, cygwin-gcc with -mno-cygwin
switch, and by mingw gcc (although the mingw distro puts them somewhere
else).

-mno-cygwin turns the cygwin gcc into a cross-compiler,
host=i686-pc-cygwin and target=i686-pc-win32.

mingw is a totally native version of gcc for win32.  Not even gcc.exe
from the mings distro depends on cygwin1.dll.  Thus, host=i686-pc-win32
and target=i686-pc-win32.

--Chuck