Re: Two questions: Moving Directories, Ctrl-Z

Mark Allan Young wrote:

> > >I tried this again and it started to do a copy...
> > >
> > >then I looked around my system and found another cygwin window
> > >opened to a directory within the directory that I was trying to
> > >move.
> >
> > Ok.  The official answer to this problem is "Don't do that."
>
> Doesn't seem right to me.  I'd rather it not take several minutes
> to copy a large directory...  As I said in my previous message, if
> the command knows enough to realize that it must do a recursive
> copy/unlink, I'd rather it just say "Can't." or "Won't." or even
> "EFILEBUSY"  :-).

Another reason for copy/unlink is if you mv from one device to another.
Please also note that the underlying API is Win32.  Cygwin uses the
native Win32 API to affect it's functions.  And, let me say that I would
rather that it attempted to do as much as possible and act like UNIX
than to not do anything.

Earnie.