cygwin: Having problems with rsh, ssh, login etc.

I need to execute some programs on a Win2000 box from a Linux box.  I
believe that Cygwin can do this via ssh/sshd.  I have tried running sshd
and using ssh to connect but it fails.  I thought I'd try something
simpler like rsh and it still failed.  I tried running login on the
Win2000 host via a cygwin bash shell and I find I can not login.  Is
there a HOWTO for setting up accounts on Win2000 for use with Cygwin ????

I tried searching the mail archives but it is incredibly hard to follow
any threads.  I couldn't find any obvious way of following a discussion
and thus this is why I am asking on the list.  Is there an easier way to
use the mail archives or is it easier to just flood the list with the
same questions.

Regards,
Brendan Simon.